Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: partition error

partition error 22 Dec 2013 10:44 #5044

Log reads "found a partition structure error for device "500 HIbachi HTS5450B9SA02". Checkmate reported the same error a week ago. Using Techtool in the Edrive, I used disk utility to repair the disk, repaired the permissions, repaired the Volume Structures and Optimized the files."
Now Checkmate is reporting the same error. How do I fix?
This is an early 2010 MacBook Pro running Mavericks.
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

partition error 22 Dec 2013 13:29 #5045

The error reported by Checkmate refers to the partition map of the entire drive mechanism, not to a problem with any particular volume on the drive. The partition map is a data structure that is written when the drive is first formatted, before any volumes are created. Once volumes are created, their type, size, the location of their first block are recorded in the partition map.

The Volume Rebuild feature in TechTool Pro and the Repair Disk feature of Disk Utility repair disk directory errors in a specific volume, but do not repair the partition map. If I recall correctly, it was in Lion in which Apple added the ability to attempt to repair the partition map to Disk Utility. The button used to do this is labeled Verify Disk, and is used when a drive mechanism is selected:

The partition map can be checked using Disk Utility by selecting the drive mechanism itself (not a volume on it) and then using the Verify Disk button. The text output looks like this:

Verifying and repairing partition map for “G-TECH”
Checking prerequisites
Checking the partition list
Checking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition’s size
Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Reviewing boot support loaders
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions
Updating Windows boot.ini files as required
The partition map appears to be OK

If you use the Repair Disk button when the drive mechanism is selected, Disk Utility attempts to repair the partition map. I have seen cases in which the operating system itself detects a damaged partition map and attempts to repair it.

If Disk Utility cannot repair the partition map, you will have to back up all volumes on the drive, and then reformat the drive, recreate the volume(s) on it, and restore the files from the backup. As long as there is an error in the partition map, no utility will be able to add or delete volumes, or attempt to change their size.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 22 Dec 2013 16:45 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds