Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Checkmate 1.0.5 with Apple and home-brew Fusion Drives

Checkmate 1.0.5 with Apple and home-brew Fusion Drives 08 Sep 2013 00:19 #4646

The new Macs can come with Fusion drives, combining an SSD and a conventional HDD. It is also possible to build such a drive on an older Mac -- for example, according to

blog.macsales.com/17624-os-x-10-8-3-prov...-drive-equipped-macs

I took the latter approach with my Mac Pro 4,1, using the OWC PCI-based Accelsior SSD and an internal SATA drive, with Mac OS 10.8.4.

Should I remove Checkmate? Adjust its settings to disable some activities? Or what?

I am curious about your advice for those with factory Fusion drives, too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Checkmate 1.0.5 with Apple and home-brew Fusion Drives 08 Sep 2013 00:52 #4647

There is no need to remove Checkmate. The tests it performs are compatible with the Fusion drive, and are read-only. The only writing Checkmate does is to its own log file. I see no reason why these tests would not work with similar drives that people construct themselves. There are some reports that all S.M.A.R.T. tests can give unusual results with drives that involve SSD components, but that is an issue you would have to take up with the drive vendor.

Our other utility, TechTool Pro, has both tools that modify the contents of a volume and tests that are similar to those in Checkmate. With TechTool Pro 7.0.1, you can use the tests on a Fusion drive, but do not use the tools until we have released a version of TechTool Pro that fully supports the Fusion drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds