Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 06 Jul 2013 01:09 #4330

Hello,
It would be nice if Checkmate could select all bad files and replace them with a back up from another drive.
Also, it would be nice instead of selecting one bad file at a time we could select all of them to delete or search for a back up (replacement) via another drive.

Thanking you in advance.
System info: iMac (2006) running Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2 GB SD RAM.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 06 Jul 2013 01:13 #4332

The File Structures test in Checkmate and TechTool Pro tests a few specific types of files to see if their structure conforms perfectly to Apple's published definitions. The fact that a file is flagged by the test means that it varies from the published specs in some respect, but that does not necessarily mean that it is corrupted beyond use. The only way to know for certain is to try to open the file with an application that should be able to open it. The test results sometimes cause needless alarm, but the test has also allowed some people to learn that their graphics files were in fact unusable.

There is a good explanation in the manual for TechTool Pro 6. The relevant page is online at:

File Structures test

There is no way for a program to know which file in a backup is supposed to be identical to another program. They could have identical names, and creation and modification times, but different content.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 27 Jan 2015 20:37 #6081

The problem is that checkmate picks up a lot of jpeg thumbnails. It would be nice to have a checkbox allowing that file type tp be ignored.
My last scan shows 189 such files - mostly Lightroom thumbnail jpegs.
It is too tedious to take the time to delete them one at a time. That means that checkmate will continue to flash angrily in the menu bar.
I guess that does remind me to do some other regular maintenance but it certainly makes it less useful as an early warning device. a little like the boy that cried wold.

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 27 Jan 2015 20:50 #6082

Thanks for your suggestion.

If you read the relevant section of the TechTool Pro manual, linked in the message above yours, you see that the proper interpretation of the test result is that the files do not need to be deleted if they open in a program that can open jpeg files. It is common for jpegs to work properly while not strictly meeting the published specifications for the jpeg file types.

I suggest you use the Log menu to save the current Checkmate log, and then, in the same menu, choose Clear Log, which will make the menu bar icon stop flashing.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 27 Jan 2015 21:13 #6083

I understand that the files may be good, but if I clear the log won't they simply be identified as bad again with the next scan?
I suppose if it shows up a few at a time perhaps I can exclude those folders in the preferences.
An ignore this file check box by each file in the results window would be a quick (from a users perspective) way to exclude a file.
I recognize their may be other far more challenging and critical programing goals, but is has become a frustration for me.
Thanks for the prompt response. I will try your suggestions and hope that I can take advantage of the exclude folder or file menu to keep the jpgs from creating an alarm condition.

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 27 Jan 2015 21:28 #6084

You are welcome, and I have forwarded both of your suggestions.

Yes, the files will be flagged again the next time the File Structures test checks the volume containing the files, unless you use the Exclusions in the Preferences of Checkmate to exclude the folders containing the files from the test, or you exclude the individual files themselves.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 29 Sep 2017 13:21 #8654

Hello,
it would be a very useful option if i could choose all bad files and transfer them into one new folder.
For example checkmate shows me 660 bad files on one hard drive. To choose every single file, then finder, then photoshop trying to open it, is really time-consuming.
Thanks in advance,
tecci

Checkmate suggestion: replace bad files from back up 29 Sep 2017 15:54 #8655

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have passed along to the beta administrator for Checkmate.

For your own piece of mind, please be sure to review the rest of this thread for the proper interpretation of the test results. The fact that a file is flagged does not mean that it will not open and work properly in an application that should be able to open it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds