Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 17:35 #4296

I own both CheckMate and TTP7, and they all exist in harmony, to the best of my knowledge. However, this puzzles me.

Checkmate reported
Error: Bad blocks were encountered on the drive "1 TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Media". ::Backup the data and consider replacing this drive.

I then ran TTP7 on Surface Scan on the same drive, and after 7 hours of scanning reported "No bad blocks".

Which software is right? Which one do we trust?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:03 #4297

It is not clear to me whether the seven hours were enough for TechTool Pro to finish the Surface Scan. Checkmate has the unique ability to scan part of a drive when you are not using your computer, stop scanning and note which was the last block scanned if you start using your computer, and resume scanning later.

There are some rare cases in which a block can be read on some attempts and not on others. Such blocks are called "marginal" blocks. If I had your situation, I would act on the suggestion from Checkmate.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:11 #4298

There is a chance that the reported bad blocks from Checkmate are the result of a crash of the Checkmate daemon. Please launch Checkmate, and use its Send Report feature (in the Checkmate menu) to send us a report (the process is automated; please remember to put your email address in the proper field). Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2013 18:17 by micromattech3.

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:17 #4299

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
It is not clear to me whether the seven hours were enough for TechTool Pro to finish the Surface Scan. Checkmate has the unique ability to scan part of a drive when you are not using your computer, stop scanning and note which was the last block scanned if you start using your computer, and resume scanning later.

There are some rare cases in which a block can be read on some attempts and not on others. Such blocks are called "marginal" blocks. If I had your situation, I would act on the suggestion from Checkmate.

It was a 1TB drive, and TTP7 ran the test to completion (it took about 7 hours).

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:21 #4300

Thanks for the update. Please send us the Checkmate report as described above (which you probably could not see while composing your last message).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:22 #4301

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
There is a chance that the reported bad blocks from Checkmate are the result of a crash of the Checkmate daemon. Please launch Checkmate, and use its Send Report feature (in the Checkmate menu) to send us a report (the process is automated; please remember to put your email address in the proper field). Thank you.

The report was sent several hours before posting this thread. It should be in the queue there somewhere. :)

TTP 7 ran the Surface Scan test to completion, never finding an error.

The primary reason for asking which one to trust, is that it will be a lot of work (and time) to reformat the drive writing 0's, and then restoring the data, longer than the 7 hours it took to do the surface scan. I have no problem doing that, but if I don't have to, all the better.

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 18:36 #4302

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
Thanks for the update. Please send us the Checkmate report as described above (which you probably could not see while composing your last message).

The report was sent in over six hours ago. :)

CheckMate Surface Scan Test VS TechTool Pro 7 Surface Scan Test 02 Jul 2013 19:28 #4303

Thanks for letting me know. I will forward your posting, so it will rise to the top.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds