Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: A memory error

A memory error 18 Apr 2013 17:17 #3929

I use SuperDuper to backup to an external drive. Yesterday, SuperDuper indicated an error when repairing permissions.

I attempted to repair permissions in the utility and also ran into an error. I then ran verify disk permissions without a problem; I then ran repair permissions without a problem.

This morning the Checkmate log registered the following:
A memory error was encountered in address range start: EA88E400 length: 18E26E00.
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 36B5200 length: 18E26E00.
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 3EB79D00 length: 1BBOC980.
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 5A686680 length: 1BBOC980.

What is my problem?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A memory error 18 Apr 2013 18:21 #3930

The error message suggests that defective RAM has been detected.

You should run the Apple Hardware Test to check the RAM. The error may be new, or it may not have been detected before because the particular addresses were in use at the time when the test ran.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013 20:15 by micromattech3.

Re: A memory error 19 Apr 2013 19:18 #3937

I have attempted to use Apple Hardware Test by following directions...using D to no avail, and using option + D. I am unable to use Apple Hardware Test.

The beta Checkmate ran with the following results, all with the same length. There were more than listed below:
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 741DC900; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 5798B200; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 3B139800; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 1E8E8400; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 2096D00; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: E5845600; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: C8FF3F00; length 1C851700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: AC7A2800
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 8FF51100
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 736FFA00
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 56EAE300
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 3A65CC00
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 1DE0B500
A memory error was encountered in address range start: 15B9E00
A memory error was encountered in address range start: E4D68700
A memory error was encountered in address range start: ABCC5900

Last night I ran TechToolPro in eDrive. The Volume Structure failed...Validation Error Encou ntered, Extended Attributes File; I ran it again with the same result but this time it was Catalog File; I ran it for a third time and again the error was the Extended Attributes File.

The TechToolPro memory test passes.

Can you give me an idea what all of this means?

Re: A memory error 19 Apr 2013 19:32 #3938

I think you should have the RAM tested by Apple, at an Apple Store.

The problem with interpreting the results of anything other than a RAM test is that if the RAM is bad, the tests themselves might not be running properly. The RAM must be known to be good first. Do not attempt to repair the disk directory until the RAM is known to be good. The bad RAM could write a bad disk directory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: A memory error 19 Apr 2013 20:17 #3939

On some models, the Apple Hardware test is not on the Install 1 disc:

From support.apple.com/kb/ht1509:

Additional Information

Apple Hardware Test is included on the DVDs that are shipped with some Macintosh computers. If the copy on your hard drive becomes unavailable, use the DVDs to run Apple Hardware Test.

For Intel-based Apple computers that shipped with Mac OS X v10.5.4 or earlier, Apple Hardware Test is located on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and should be included with your computer.
For Apple computers that shipped with Mac OS X v10.5.5 to 10.6.7, Apple Hardware Test is located on the Applications Install Disc 2 and should be included with your computer.
For some Apple computers that shipped with OS X Lion, if Apple Hardware Test cannot be found on the hard drive, an Internet-based version starts up instead. An Internet-enabled connection via ethernet or Wi-Fi is required to use this feature. Some computers that shipped with Lion require a software update to use this feature. See Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery for more information.

Our free utility, Machine Profile, tells you what operating system came with your computer, in case you cannot recall that information and cannot find the original discs that came with the computer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013 20:19 by micromattech3.

Re: A memory error 19 Apr 2013 21:07 #3941

Ran Apple Hardware Test. Error: 4MEM/4/40000000 Oxb8613018.

I will be taking that and all other info to Apple Store on Monday along with my iMac. It is now up to them.

Thank you for all of your help.

Re: A memory error 19 Apr 2013 22:30 #3942

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

It is an odd coincidence that I needed to research where the Apple Hardware Test is, because I cannot find the discs that came with my iMac.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds