Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro

How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 06 Mar 2013 23:01 #3825

I've got both Checkmate & TechTool Pro running on my MacBook Pro. I'm just curious in how the two compliment/conflict with each other. I've always been pretty happy with MicroMat products but I'm not sure how to implement both. Any help would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 06 Mar 2013 23:22 #3826

The programs do not have any conflicts.

Checkmate runs read-only tests, mostly when you are not using your Macintosh. Checkmate will not run tests when the TechTool Pro application, Disk Utility, Super Duper!, or Time Machine are running.

Checkmate does not make any changes to your volumes, other than writing its own log files. It diagnoses but does not repair disk directory errors. The Surface Scan in Checkmate is able to scan part of a volume, and then, if the scan is interrupted because you are using your Macintosh or have launched one of the applications described above, it can resume the scan later when the Macintosh is idle or the application has been closed.

Checking the disk directory of a Time Machine volume can take a very long time, because if the volume has 40 backups on it, its directory is roughly 40 times as complex as that of a normal volume (assuming that, like most people, you are accumulating files rather than deleting lots of them). Checkmate found a disk directory error in my Time Machine volume. In retrospect, I did not check it often enough. Having Checkmate perform this task and the Surface Scan without my having to initiate the tests has been surprisingly useful.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 22 May 2013 20:19 #4065

I, too, have both and I'm left still needing a question answered here. With Tech Tool Pro 6, in System Preferences we can turn on/off SMART Check. Since getting Checkmate, I'm confused about this setting. How does Tech Tool's SMART Check setting differ from what Checkmate does? Do we/should we have SMART Check running if we also are running Checkmate?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Re: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 22 May 2013 22:48 #4066

Checkmate runs its S.M.A.R.T. test on its own schedule. I have seen no reports of any conflict between it and the S.M.A.R.T. test in TechTool Pro, which runs on the schedule you see in the SMART Check pane of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.

When either of these S.M.A.R.T. tests is run, some data is read from the firmware of the drive, a process so quick that it is hardly worth measuring, and extremely unlikely to cause a conflict. I do not see how it would even be possible to deliberately both programs to perform the test at the same time.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 04 Aug 2013 16:34 #4430

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
Checkmate runs read-only tests, mostly when you are not using your Macintosh.

I consider this a joke as when I had CheckMate installed, I was ALWAYS being "checkmated" when USING my Mac! For example, I'd be typing away in a word processor when everything would freeze for a minute while CheckMate did it's thing. If it is only running READ-ONLY tests then they should just run in the background and NOT interfere with anything else. I uninstalled the program and consider I wasted money on crappy software.
Cogito Ergo Mac

Re: How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 04 Aug 2013 17:18 #4432

You might consider downloading the latest version and giving it a trial. You can download it from the Available Downloads at the bottom of the My Account page.

The only test that might run when you are using your Macintosh is the test of the disk directory of the active startup volume. A dialog box warns that the test is about to begin, and gives the user the opportunity to cancel the test, which will be rescheduled to run later.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2013 17:27 by micromattech3.

How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 13 Aug 2013 19:41 #4483

I'm seeing a conflict where if I try to run any TechTool disk repair or defrag (or erase or repair in Disk Utilities) while Checkmate is enabled it will not unmount as it says the disk is in use. Also having the "disk is in use" delay window pop up while I'm mixing and recording in Protools... Kind of a pain, as I under stood it would Sense when it was in use and not pester me with windows asking what to do?

I don't want to cause concern for other users, But while running the defrag in TTP, it suddenly stopped and said said there was a problem... come to find out Checkmate has been re-enabled but to little to late.... Directory was toast, Ran Disk Warrior as well and it was unrepairable. Had made a BU before hand so data was retrievable, but it was over 4tb of data so it wasn't till the next day i was up and running again.

How does Checkmate compare to or work with TechTool Pro 13 Aug 2013 20:00 #4484

I have not seen any other reports of Checkmate interfering with TechTool Pro. Checkmate should automatically pause when the TechTool Pro application is in use.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds