Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Power on self-test check failed

Power on self-test check failed 08 Feb 2013 14:10 #3709

I've been getting this error but just standard chime on start up. I've deleted checkmate and re-installed it at the same time as running applejack and shutting down and starting up my imac 27" 2.93 core i7 with 12gb memory. Still getting report. I'm about to report the problem to apple but before I do can you tell me what the problem checkmate has found in slightly more detail and perhaps what file I can look at on my computer. Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Power on self-test check failed 08 Feb 2013 14:45 #3710

Please use the Send Report feature in the Checkmate application's Checkmate menu to send us a report. The feature automatically sends us the proper log files. One other customer has reported getting a diagnosis of failure in the POST test without getting any chimes. It would be very helpful to have your report. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.

From page 16 of the pdf of the Checkmate manual:

Power-On Self Test

The Power-On Self Test (POST) is an automatic test that is run by your Mac’s hardware each time your Mac powers up, before Mac OS X is loaded. The test is not performed in the case of a restart. POST checks the basic functioning of RAM, Processor and boot ROM.

Checkmate gathers the results of this test and displays them. If a failure result is reported, it is likely you would have heard a number of system beeps instead of the normal startup chime. The number of beeps indicates the potential issue with your Macintosh:

1 beep = No RAM installed.

2 beeps = Incompatible RAM types installed.

3 beeps = No good banks.

4 beeps = No good boot images in the boot ROM or bad system configuration block.

5 beeps = Processor is not usable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013 14:46 by micromattech3.

Re: Power on self-test check failed 08 Feb 2013 14:56 #3711

It would be helpful to know if your Apple System Information report shows a pass or fail for the Power On Self-Test. If you choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, then click the More Info button, Apple System Information launches. In the Hardware area, the result of the Power On Self-Test is shown under Diagnostics:

Attachment PowerOnSelf-TestinAppleSystemInformationscreencapture.png not found

Both Checkmate and the Apple System Information report are simply reporting the results of the Power On Self-Test, which runs only when the Macintosh is booted (not restarted). There should not be any contradiction between the two methods of viewing the results.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013 15:04 by micromattech3.

Re: Power on self-test check failed 08 Feb 2013 16:16 #3712

Hi it says PowerOn Self-Test passed yesterday when I last powered up. However it also says
"Apple Hardware Test 23/01/4012 User stopped tests."

Note the date 4012!

Re: Power on self-test check failed 08 Feb 2013 16:27 #3713

Thanks for the additional details. I would appreciate it if you would send a screen capture of the future date to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds