Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate!

Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 30 Dec 2012 22:47 #3487

I am running 10.6.8. Every time Checkmate does its thing, I am forced to re-launch the Finder. The message says that this is caused by a bug in Apple's operating system. I really do not care who is at fault. I want to get Checkmate off my computer.

There is no way to remove Checkmate completely. I could find no uninstaller, so I deleted the App. I still can't get rid of the Checkmate menu. There is nothing in the login items that shows up as Checkmate related.

Thanks,
Ed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 30 Dec 2012 23:19 #3489

The manual for Checkmate is build into the Checkmate application, in the Help menu. It explains that to uninstall the program, you use the Customize button in the Checkmate installer (page 3). You can download the manual in pdf form here:

www.micromat.com/manual-menu/micromat-product-manuals

I suggest that you reinstall Checkmate, and then use the Checkmate installer again, to uninstall the program. That approach will make sure that the background processes are removed, and that Apple's Launchd process is not trying to launch them at login.

Checkmate has a Send Report feature that automatically sends us the proper log files, so we can investigate the problem you are having. There are no other reports of this conflict with the Finder. I suspect that if you repair permissions and reinstall the program, it will work properly. If not, we would at least be able to have log files that would allow proper investigation of the problem.

Page 3 of the manual:

When you install Checkmate, the application package is installed in your Applications folder
• Applications/Checkmate

The following other files are installed:

Helper Files:

• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateAgent
• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateIdleDaemon
• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateWorkerDaemon Helper File preferences:
• Library/LaunchDaemons/com.micromat.Checkma- teIdleDaemon.plist
• Library/LaunchDaemons/com.micromat.Check- MageWorkerDaemon.plist

The Checkmate Installer includes an uninstall option. This option is available via a Customize button on the main Install screen. Performing an uninstall will completely remove all the Checkmate components from the current startup volume.

Serialization and Registration When installation of Checkmate is completed, you will be prompted to enter your serial number. Your serial number is your proof of ownership of Checkmate. Keep it in a safe place, because it may be required for future updates or upgrades. You must enter a valid serial number to launch the program. If you make a mistake and enter an invalid number, the program will beep and not accept it. You can then re-enter the number. If you enter an invalid number several times in succession the program will quit. In that case, verify the number, re-launch the program, and then enter the correct number. Additional serial numbers are available for a fee from Micromat Sales ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: outlawgal, tbiegner

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 30 Dec 2012 23:19 #3490

I believe when you rerun the checkmate installer and then select "Customize" you can select to uninstall checkmate.

EDIT: Oh already answered above :-) didn't see the answer when I posted ;-)
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012 23:31 by tbiegner.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 30 Dec 2012 23:38 #3495

Your answer is easier to read on a phone. :)
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 00:11 #3498

Thanks for the solution. I ran the installer, but did not check the customize area. Sorry I missed it.

I will try repairing permissions and re-installing Checkmate; however, I think I did that. To be sure, I will do it methodically. Repair, install, let it run, report the results. It may take a few days for the complete test.

It is a strange error message. The way it read, it was like the problem was known and the Checkmate developer had the message displayed.

Thanks again,
Ed

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 00:15 #3499

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

I have a friend who is using Checkmate 1.0.1 with Mac OS X 10.6.8, and he is not having the problem you reported.

If the error arises again, please make a screen capture of the dialog box. Posting the screen capture requires using the Add File button, then the Insert button. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2012 00:15 by micromattech3.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 14:41 #3504

Now I have a new problem: I run repair permissions, a bunch of files need repair and Disk Utility reports that they were repaired. When I run repair permissions again, the same list of files need repair. I have a separate boot disk. When I boot from that drive I have the same identical problem as on the internal drive. TechTool Pro 6 reports that both drives are in good shape with respect to file and volume structures.

I created a new administrator account and that did not help. I have had this refurb MBP for a year. I did the system installation like it was a new computer. After I did all the installations to get up to 10.6.8 I ran permission repairs. It has been a year, so memory may not be the best, but when I repaired permissions at that time there was a bunch of repair needed and reported to be done. That is when I created the clone of my internal drive to have a bootable external drive. I am therefore not optimistic that re-installing the system will resolve this issue.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Ed

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 15:53 #3505

You are welcome.

There are some files for which repairing permissions repeatedly will not resolve the problem, which, in these cases, Apple says is no cause for concern. This has been true since the first version of Mac OS X. There is a lengthyApple KnowledgeBase article on this subject, which lists the many files:

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2012 15:55 by micromattech3.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 19:02 #3511

Attachment Screenshot2012-12-31at10.29.49AM.png not found

I have the same error message popping up periodically with regard to relaunching the Finder. It's definitely a message from Checkmate, not Apple. I find it disturbing that someone in Tech Support is unaware of this. I'm attaching a screen shot of the message.
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2012 19:29 by micromattech3.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 19:32 #3516

Thanks for posting the screen capture.

Testing the startup volume requires making use of some Apple system software tools, which evidently have a problem in Snow Leopard that remains unresolved. These tools would have been revised for Lion and Mountain Lion.

I am sorry that I did not know about this problem, but Checkmate is new, and this problem affects one aspect of one feature using one operating system.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 20:00 #3517

Thanks for this discussion! Everyone brought something to the table and that is how these forums work. I guess I may have been "the lucky one" who was first to have the problem and report it. Jonathan, thanks for your input. You have saved me a fair bit of time.

I trust this issue will make it into a list of "Known issues" and benefit others who may want to use the product on 10.6.8.

May all have a happy and prosperous New Year!

Ed

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 22:10 #3518

A Happy New Year to you and all who read these forums!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 31 Dec 2012 22:13 #3519

It turns out that the friend I referred to above in message #3499 had upgraded to Mountain Lion before installing Checkmate.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 31 Dec 2012 22:14 by micromattech3.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 14 Jan 2013 00:32 #3603

I'm so glad you posted how to uninstall the program. I think I need to wait for version 2. The program uses a LOT of CPU while it's running, and messes with other apps I'm using. Plus, it told me about 12 var files that are corrupted, and gave me no idea of how to deal with them. I have no doubt that updates are gonna make it better, but it's not for me just now. xox

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 14 Jan 2013 00:40 #3604

The next version will not run tests while Super Duper or Time Machine are running. You can prevent Checkmate from running tests now by launching Disk Utility, and letting Disk Utility remain open.

The interpretation of the results of the File Structures test is in the TechTool Pro 6 manual:

File Structures Test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 14 Jan 2013 14:52 #3607

I also get this "Snow Leopard Finder relaunch" error message from time to time but, when I tried to send the log through Checkmate it just hung. I can find no obvious cause and I have been unable to identify any pattern to the alert occurring, it seems to be at random.

I've read the above and want to try uninstalling and reinstalling CM - but I cannot find the Installer! All I can find is the application itself so maybe I deleted the relevant file(s) in error sometime after the installation. :oops:

How can I download the application/installer again without going through the purchase option, I don't want to pay again!

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 14 Jan 2013 15:41 #3608

No worries! That one freaked me out, too. Go to your Micromat account. There's a list of software you're entitled to download. CM will be on that list. Download, open the dmg, and you can uninstall. xo K
The following user(s) said Thank You: iBozz

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 14 Jan 2013 15:41 #3609

There is no need to send a log file for the problem of the Finder in Snow Leopard crashing when system software tools are performing a particular task on the active startup volume. The problem can only be fixed by Apple, because the problem is in their code.

If you go to the Login/Register link at the top of this page, log in, and then look at your Available Downloads at the bottom of the new page, you can download the Checkmate installer again.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: iBozz

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 15 Jan 2013 10:25 #3614

Thanks. I have now deleted and then reinstalled Checkmate but the Snow Leopard problem persists.

Apple aren't going to change their coding as they have moved on from Snow Leopard and it appears to affect only this application, so instead why don't Micromat code around the problem?

This could either be to avoid it altogether or to relaunch the Finder automatically.

Having written BASIC, COBOL and ICL VME programs in my long passed youth I acknowledge that what appears to be a simple code change can have unexpected consequences - tell me about it! :blush: - but as the cause is known then can we not have an update to address it?

If the test itself always fails then omit it (unless to do so would open up a problem being undiagnosed) or, if the test works and it is merely the aftermath that causes the Finder error then code to mop up the fallout so that the message only appears if really necessary.

But as I said, maybe that's easier said than done.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 15 Jan 2013 11:37 #3615

There is no way to test the active startup volume without making use of system software code that crashes the Finder. If it is possible to automatically relaunch it, without the user having to click a button, then I suspect we could do that.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 21 Jan 2013 19:50 #3637

The beta administrator for Checkmate pointed out that automatically relaunching the Finder could corrupt any files being copied in the Finder.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Cannot UNinstall Checkmate! 21 Jan 2013 21:10 #3645

Jonathan,

The email address you have for these forums appears to be no longer working. The email that the server sent to you today came back with a "No Such User Here" message.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds