Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button"

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 16 Feb 2013 21:56 #3745

Thanks for explaining why it is such a pain to uninstall. IIRC, one of the touted benefits to Mac OS X was that to uninstall an application, all you had to do was trash the .app file, unlike Mac OS 9.x and below. Looks more and more like Apple is making it harder to do things.

Sorry, I don't think a program that randomly locks up your Mac for at least 30 seconds and only gives you 1 - 2 seconds to cancel the lock up is worth much. A few simple preferences settings such as a minimum "inactive" time interval, how long the splash dialog stays visible, telling it not to launch when there is typing/scrolling, etc. should be basic for a 1.0 version.
Cogito Ergo Mac
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 16 Feb 2013 22:12 #3746

You are welcome, and I have forwarded your posting about the problem with testing the active startup volume. I expect to see an improvement in the way the dialog box works in a future version.

The need to unload background processes when removing a program is a consequence of Apple's launchd process, which does have advantages over earlier methods of dealing with background processes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2013 22:17 by micromattech3.

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 16 Feb 2013 22:59 #3747

I did purchase Checkmate recently but have not yet installed it in view of all the problems people are having. I hope I did not waste the money and that Micromat resolves these problems soon...

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 16 Feb 2013 23:05 #3748

Most of the reports of problems are referring to version 1.0.1. The program is now at version 1.0.3.

A few people are troubled by the way the dialog box alerting the user to the fact that the active startup volume is about to be tested works. This can be fixed. In the meantime, it is a good idea to have the S.M.A.R.T. test running, the Surface Scan checking for unremapped bad blocks, and the Volume Structures test checking disk directories, especially that of a Time Machine volume, which, after a few months' use, is 40 times as complex as a typical disk directory. My own Time Machine turned out to have a corrupted disk directory. I also have a Super Duper backup and an off-site backup, but many users assume that Time Machine works flawlessly.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 19 Feb 2013 16:45 #3765

Dennis,

Please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 19 Feb 2013 16:49 #3766

The reason the message "The installation was successful" displays even when the program has been uninstalled is that we are using Apple's installer, and that is apparently the only message that can be displayed.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 17 Oct 2015 03:12 #6718

I am finding that Checkmate is a pesky program that is difficult to get rid off from my MacPro (OS X Yosemite). It is similar to the famous MacKeeper that is also a pest. Your Installer has no "Uninstall" section. I have been pulling my hair to get rid of Checkmate - it opens during serious work and that I can do without. All attempts to remove with uninstaller apps have failed; there is a lingering Checkmate menu Icon seemingly without ant connections to preferences, preference paned, Launch Daemons etc. My only option is to do a clean install of my Mac and get rid of Micromat stuff altogether. Sorry to say this but I suggest others to do the same as this is a bloody waste of time.

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 17 Oct 2015 11:31 #6721

If you hold down the option key when clicking the Checkmate icon in the menu bar, you see two additional choices: Disable Checkmate, and Stop Checkmate.

Complete removal of the program is explained on page three of the Help in the program:

The Checkmate Installer includes an uninstall option. This option is available via a Customize button on the main Install screen. Performing an uninstall will completely remove all the Checkmate components from the current startup volume.

Many people have found Checkmate quite useful, especially those who found they had umremapped bad blocks, or partition map errors.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 18 Oct 2015 00:31 #6722

I like Checkmate. I own both Drive Genius and TechTool Pro 8. DG4 has a feature similar to Checkmate, though I traditionally have been using DG4's application (which isn't an added cost option, like the case of Checkmate).

I am using it in El Capitan, and it does just fine. I also like the addition of Notification Center updates when processes finish. If I were to change anything it wold be the Checkmate GUI, which for some reason is huge!
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2015 01:03 by DrSynn.

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 18 Oct 2015 01:03 #6723

Thanks for your observations about Checkmate.

I will have to be on the lookout for the notifications, which I would be unlikely to see, since most of my tests are run in the middle of the night, or when I am not at my iMac.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 18 Oct 2015 01:13 #6724

That's what's awesome about the Checkmate notification. They don't go away till you acknowledge them. I'll turn my computer on, then leave the house for a few hours and when I get back there are various messages, which often include Notifications from Checkmate (things like if its finished a Surface Scan, finds an error, or whatever).

It's a actually pretty cool (especially since I don't have to open the Checkmate application, which needs a GUI refresh.

I think we need a "stop Checkmate button" 18 Oct 2015 01:16 #6725

Thanks for the additional details about the notifications. I do recall one time when I failed to notice the blinking red Checkmate icon in my menubar for quite a while, and it was trying to inform me that my Time Machine volume had a disk directory error.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds