Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory

CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 28 Dec 2012 05:51 #3476

Since installing Checkmate, I've been having occasional major slowdowns of my computer. When it happens, Activity Monitor shows CheckmateWorkerDaemon using more than 4GB of Real Memory, usually around 4.7 GB on my machine, it uses up every last bit of free memory so there is none left. When that happens, other apps slow down and become partially unresponsive. Eventually the CheckmateWorkerDaemon quits or releases the memory, and everything is back to normal. But when it happens it is very aggravating.

I'm using OS X 10.8.2.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 28 Dec 2012 13:34 #3477

Thanks for your report, which is the first to show this problem.

Please use the Customize button in the Checkmate installer to uninstall the program. Then repair permissions using Disk Utility, and reinstall Checkmate.

If the problem returns, please make a screen capture of the Activity Monitor window showing the CheckmateWorkerDaemon using so much memory, and submit a report using Checkmate's Send Report feature, in the application' Checkmate menu. That feature automatically sends Checkmate's logs. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 13 Jan 2013 17:10 #3601

I do repair permissions routinely (about once a month), so I doubt that would be a cause, but I'll do that and the reinstall anyway, just to be sure.

I haven't seen the problem again, but this is on my home computer, which I use less often, and it happens infrequently and at irregular intervals, so it's hard to catch. I'll try to do the screen capture if I see it happen again.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 13 Jan 2013 17:29 #3602

Thanks for the update, and your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 15 Jan 2013 12:04 #3616

Well...look at that. I come to the forum to report this problem (on a MacPro 3,1, 16GB RAM, 10.8.2) and see that it is reported already. The daemon uses up whatever free memory there is so in some ways acts almost like a purge command. In fact it distinctly reminds me of the Techtool Pro daemons that sometimes run rampant until the calling daemon is force quit.

Could you please explain to me why something that is described in the help texts as "repairs permissions for files installed by the OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, or third-party apps." should influence CheckMate?

I also fail to see why I should reinstall CheckMate. That bit of your advice sounds a like on a Windows machine. Something go wrong? Re-install.

The problem with taking screenshots or sending a snapshot of the system is that by the time the machine is back in a state of accepting commands, the daemon in question is often gone already (I tried a few times Today) but I will try and get that information.

Btw. I have the feeling you get few reports like these because most people don't realise at first what's wrong and by the time they think of finally looking at eg. the Activity Monitor it has passed as the daemon does seem to quit on its own after a while. I spent some time Yesterday checking Activity Monitor and watching the daemon come and go several times in a row. It took me a few days to figure out where my intermittent slow downs were coming from...as I am testing a few other things atm, it could have been any of them.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 15 Jan 2013 13:48 #3618

It is standard troubleshooting practise to repair permissions and to reinstall programs when they do not work properly. In many cases, it works. It is the only possible solution if the permissions are incorrect in a way that prevents access to a file, or if an application has had a file become corrupted.

Permissions can be repaired only for files for which there are permissions receipts, which contain within them a bom file. Those files include the system software files, Apple applications, and a few third-party programs that supply the required permissions file. There is no way that any program can repair permissions for user files, because there is no way to know what they should be.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 15 Jan 2013 14:58 by micromattech3.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 16 Jan 2013 01:25 #3625

If the problem arose when Checkmate was running the RAM test, we would appreciate it if you would send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 17 Jan 2013 07:20 #3627

Lol, I finally managed to make a screenshot with the problem still showing up :)

The machine is so slow during this time that I won't be able to do anything that I didn't prepare as much as possible beforehand. If you have something like a debug version that just keeps track of everything, I'd be quite prepared to install it but there is no way for me to start anything during this time.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 17 Jan 2013 11:34 #3628

Thanks for the update.

Please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 24 Jan 2013 03:02 #3648

I finally got a screen capture. It took a while, because the system becomes unresponsive, to the extent that the screen capture tool becomes unresponsive, and by the time the system resumes normally, the problem is gone. Anyway, here is a link to the screen shot, showing CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 5.22 GB, consuming all free RAM:

cl.ly/image/3t1f0T0S2R2W

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 24 Jan 2013 03:16 #3649

Thanks for the screen capture, which I have forwarded to the beta administrator for Checkmate. Please use the Send Report feature in the Checkmate application's Checkmate menu, which automatically sends us the relevant log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 24 Jan 2013 04:16 #3650

We need to see the logs in order to see if the CheckmateWorkerDaemon was running the memory test. The memory must be allocated in order to test it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 24 Jan 2013 12:44 #3651

A log report was submitted (directly from Checkmate) prior to my post above.

Re: CheckmateWorkerDaemon using 4+ GB of Real Memory 24 Jan 2013 13:11 #3652

Thanks for your cooperation.

I have not seen the Checkmate memory test in progress on my iMac. When my computer is slow, I check the number of swapfiles at /private/var/vm, to see if I have exceeded my previous record of more than fifty.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2013 13:16 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds