Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Getting checkmate window to go away.

Getting checkmate window to go away. 15 Nov 2012 04:17 #3235

It seems that the only way to get the checkmate window to go away is to quit the program. when that is done the 'checkmate' icon disappears from the menu bar presumably meaning the program isn't running. There is no preferences menu to select launch on log in. It would seem to be a major flaw to require a window taking up all that screen real estate for a process supposed to run in the background.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting checkmate window to go away. 15 Nov 2012 05:15 #3236

You are correct, however, the Checkmate application is not what is running the tests, but the Checkmate background processes. You should still see the Checkmate icon in the menubar even when the application is not running. The application provides a way to view results, to read about the tests, and to use the Help, which has the same contents as the manual.

Please repair permissions and reinstall Checkmate. If the Checkmate icon does not appear in the menubar, please use Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities, to see if the CheckmateAgent process is running. If it is not, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.

From the Checkmate manual:

When you install Checkmate, the application package
is installed in your Applications folder
• Applications/Checkmate
The following other files are installed:
Helper Files:
• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateAgent
• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateIdleDaemon
• Library/Checkmate/CheckmateWorkerDaemon
Helper File preferences:
• Library/LaunchDaemons/com.micromat.CheckmateIdleDaemon.
plist
• Library/LaunchDaemons/com.micromat.Check-
MageWorkerDaemon.plist

The Checkmate Installer includes an uninstall option.
This option is available via a Customize button
on the main Install screen. Performing an uninstall
will completely remove all the Checkmate components
from the current startup volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Getting checkmate window to go away. 16 Nov 2012 02:41 #3247

I discovered that the problem was that when I quit checkmate the next menu bar to come up - mail, safari or whatever had more application specific headings and that the checkmate icon (the knight) was hidden beneath the application specific menu. I discovered that as i was sequentially quitting all open apps in preparation to restart to see if that made a difference - and low and behold the checkmate icon appeared. I could cover it again by opening an app with more menu bar headings. Doing some housecleaning and eliminating some of the menu bar icons i didn't really need has completely eliminated even the hidden icon problem.
I guess this goes under the heading of user error or user naiveté.

Re: Getting checkmate window to go away. 16 Nov 2012 03:52 #3248

Thanks for your clear and detailed update, which I suspect will help some other users. I do not have many things in my own menu bar, and the applications I use do not add much to it, so your explanation is helpful to me.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds