Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How to run Atomic in single user mode ?

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 16:23 #12369

This thread says it is possible to run Atomic in single user mode (to further increase the proportion of installed RAM which can be tested)

After booting to single user mode what instruction should be entered to launch Atomic?

Thanks very much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 17:02 #12370

I tried this command in Terminal while logged in normally, and it launched the Atomic application. I see no reason why this would not work in Single-user Mode at the Unix prompt:

open /Applications/ATOMIC.app

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 17:42 #12371

Thanks very much for quick reply and advice about username (which I have done).

I tried booting to single user mode (cmd+s) and got the usual pages of white text which stopped and started, but at no point did it accept the text you suggested before booting into Recovery. Tried twice.

I could run Atomic from Terminal while booted in Recovery but suspect it might use more RAM than single user.

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 17:47 #12372

You are welcome.

I cannot restart at the moment. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , asking how Atomic should be launched in Single-user Mode. The Apple article to which I linked does refer to a Unix prompt. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 18:19 #12373

Thanks. I did that, and have already received a reply:

"ATOMIC is not designed to run outside of it’s graphical user interface. As such, it is not capable of running in single user mode".

I would assume that means it couldn't be launched from Terminal while in Recovery mode either.

Impressed with great support today!

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 18:48 #12374

You are welcome, and thanks for your kind comment.

The Knowledge Base article that refers to Single-user Mode will be revised.

I am using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 at the moment. The Recovery HD volume does not appear in Disk Utility. Terminal is not one of the four options available by default on the Recovery HD volume. I

The Recovery HD volume does appear in the diskutil list command, and mine has a size of only 650 MB. Even though ATOMIC is only 18.2 MB, I do not think adding it to the Recovery HD volume by using Terminal during a normal session is a good idea. If a virtual memory swapfile needed to be created, the volume would run out of room, at least if it is an HFS+ volume.

As a practicle matter, I think either quitting as many processes as you can, or running ATOMIC from an eDrive or Protogo device would be a good approach to minimizing the amount of RAM in use.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2020 18:49 by micromattech3.

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 19:07 #12375

I wasn’t planning to add Atomic to the Recovery volume, but launch Atomic using Terminal in Recovery. I am pretty sure Terminal is available in High Sierra from the menu (not one of the main options) as this article from 2017, which probably covers High Sierra.

But irrelevant now anyway. As you say e-drive is the way.

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 19:41 #12376

Thanks for linking to the article that shows where Terminal is in the Utilities menu of the Recovery HD volume interface.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to run Atomic in single user mode ? 16 Sep 2020 23:25 #12377

The beta administrator for ATOMIC has informed me that the system software resourses on a Recovery HD volume are not sufficient to run ATOMIC.

The system software that gets copied to an eDrive is just enough to support our products.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds