Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test?

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 17:24 #7165

I have an 2015 5K iMac that I upgraded the RAM with two 16GB OWC modules. The Mac has given me repeated spontaneous restarts and several crashes when running Adobe CC apps. OWC support had me run the REMBER suite of tests which took over an hour to complete, and pass.
That iMac is now back with the Apple Dealer to try and diagnose the fault(s). The Techs would like to point to the OWC RAM which is under warranty, as a most likely cause of the misbehaviour.
Will ATOMIC provide us with a way of resolving this issue?

Thanks,

John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 17:59 #7166

The main advantage of ATOMIC is that it can test memory that has been allocated to an application, but is not in use by it. REMBER is a GUI for the command line tool memtest. There are some details about comparisons here:

ATOMIC Knowledgebase
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 18:18 #7167

So to test ALL of the memory, you'd need to swap modules so that the actual RAM being used for the System and the running app is also swapped. I'm presuming that after a reboot, the System and ATOMIC will always load into the lowest physical addresses.
Is this mentioned in the documentation?

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 18:35 #7168

The manual does not go into detail about how to maximize the amount of RAM that can be tested. The best approach is to restart and run the tests before launching any other applications. There is no way to guarantee that all of the memory has been tested with any software-based RAM tester.

The memory in use by the system is not in the lowest physical addresses. That used to be the case, until Apple and other makers of system software realized that hackers could use knowledge of what code loaded into what addresses. Please see:

Address space layout randomization
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 18:47 #7169

Many thanks for your enlightening reply.

Does the ATOMIC test uncover more RAM issues than the REMBER test? 27 Apr 2016 19:07 #7170

You are welcome.

I suggest changing your username to something other than your email address, so you do not get spam. Go to My Account, then Account Maintenance -->Account Information.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds