Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 12 Mar 2016 18:06 #7079

It seems to me that the memory test and the SPD Data from TechToolPro ( version's 7 and 8 ) does what ATOMIC purports to do.

However still interested in purchasing ATOMIC if there was a try before you buy version to convince me to spend $$$ to purchase ATOMIC.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 12 Mar 2016 20:43 #7080

There is no demo version of ATOMIC.

The RAM tests in ATOMIC are more numerous than those in TechTool Pro. The main advantage of ATOMIC is that it is able to do something that, to my knowledge, no other RAM tester that runs under OS X can do. ATOMIC can test the RAM that has been allocated to a running application but is not currently being used by it. In some cases, that unique ability can dramatically increase the amount of RAM that can be tested, because no RAM tester can test the addresses in RAM that hold data currently being used by an application or the operating system.

The best way to run any RAM tester is to restart in single user mode and then launch the RAM tester and run it before using any other applications. That should maximize the amount of RAM that can be tested.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 26 Mar 2016 19:56 #7103

micromattech3 wrote:
The best way to run any RAM tester is to restart in single user mode and then launch the RAM tester and run it before using any other applications.

Can this be done with Atomic?

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 26 Mar 2016 21:48 #7104

Yes, just restart in single-user mode and then, before launching any other applications, launch ATOMIC.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 26 Mar 2016 22:15 #7105

" restart in single-user mode "

how is that done please

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 27 Mar 2016 01:22 #7106

I thought the thread already had a link to Apple's instructions, but that turned out to be a different thread.

How to start up your Mac in single-user or verbose mode
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 01 May 2016 21:39 #7173

Apple's instructions bring me to verbose mode, how then do I launch Atomic with a written command?

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 01 May 2016 21:41 #7174

How do I add Atomic to Protogo? and will using Protogo free up more RAM than single user mode?
Last Edit: 01 May 2016 22:29 by micromattech3. Reason: corrected auto-correct errors.

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 01 May 2016 22:22 #7175

The instructions for single-user mode are:

Shut down your Mac.
Press the power button to start up your Mac.
Immediately hold down the following keys:
Hold down Command-S for single-user mode.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 01 May 2016 22:27 #7176

You would add ATOMIC to a profile in Protogo, and then make a new Protogo device. Please see pages 11-13 of the Help in Protogo for using the Profile Editor.

It is possible that booting from the Protogo device will allow more memory to be tested, because fewer processes will launch at boot time. You would have to try it to be sure.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 02 May 2016 13:57 #7177

If i install the application ATOMIC to my eDrive

when i start up in eDrive can i launch the application ATOMIC from my eDrive ?

This seems less convoluted then the " safe " startup process described above and if not why have eDrive .

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 02 May 2016 14:03 #7178

Yes, you can run ATOMIC from the eDrive. Boot from the eDrive, copy the ATOMIC installer to it, and install ATOMIC on the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 02 May 2016 22:44 #7179

For the record:

Running ATOMIC from a Protogo device made with the Minimal profile or from the Recovery HD volume Apple provides is not yet fully supported. ATOMIC will run from a Protogo device made with Mac OS X Basic profile.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 03 May 2016 13:22 #7180

Therefore for greater certainty in my mind in reference to thismicromattech3 wrote:
For the record:

Running ATOMIC from a Protogo device made with the Minimal profile or from the Recovery HD volume Apple provides is not yet fully supported. ATOMIC will run from a Protogo device made with Mac OS X Basic profile.

is

: Yes, you can run ATOMIC from the eDrive. Boot from the eDrive, copy the ATOMIC installer to it, and install ATOMIC on the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

fully supported ?

Thank you Sirs .

ATOMIC verses Memory Test Configuration by TechToolPro 8 and 7 03 May 2016 13:56 #7181

You are welcome.

I have seen no reports of problems with running ATOMIC from an eDrive, which has a larger subset of a complete installation of OS X than does a Protogo device made with a Minimal profile.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds