Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 26 Jun 2015 15:02 #6508

Notifications from TechTool appear when a a device mounts or dismounts. That's fine for the occasional times I mount or dismount a disk.

However, I'm puzzled by notifications that "Recovery HD" has mounted and dismounted numerous times a day. For example, the attached screen shot shows notifications that accumulated when I was away from my Mac for several hours last evening. Recovery HD mounted and immediately dismounted at 6:58 PM, 8:06 PM and 9:12 PM.

Can anyone explain what's going on with Recovery HD?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 26 Jun 2015 15:23 #6509

It is possible that you have a setting in the Advanced pane of Finder Preferences configured to mount all unmounted volumes when the Macintosh wakes from sleep. This article may help:

How do I keep the Recovery HD and EFI partitions from automatically mounting on my MacBook Air?

I found the article by searching at Google for:

Recovery HD mounts by itself
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2015 15:24 by micromattech3.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 26 Jun 2015 17:12 #6510

Thanks for the speedy response to my question.

In my case, the auto-mount is not related to sleep because (1) my iMac is set to no CPU sleep and (2) dismount notifications appear pop up wnen I'm using the iMac.

I Googled before my original post but found nothing helpful. I Googled "Recovery HD mounts by itself" (without the quotes) and again found no answer.

I'm going to give AppleCare Support a chance to explain what's going on.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 26 Jun 2015 18:07 #6511

You are welcome.

Please let us know what the AppleCare rep suggests. The problem is an interesting one that I have not seen before.

The article to which I linked mentions enabling the debug menu in Disk Utility. The Terminal command needed to do that can vary a bit by system software version, so you may have to search for the command. If you enable it, you get more messages from Disk Utility, diskutil, and related system software routines that deal with volumes. The messages appear in the All Messages log, which you can read with the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities. They may give the AppleCare rep a clue about what is causing the unwanted mounting and unmounting of the Recovery HD volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 00:57 #6816

During the time I was away from this discussion, ...

1. I found the source of the Recovery HD Mount and Unmount notifications – Time Machine is mounting the Recovery partition on my boot drive to perform its hourly backup.

2. The Mount and Dismount messages went away, either by themselves or something I did (and can't remember).

I'm back here because the TechTool Pro 8 Mount and Unmount notifications have returned, and I want to turn them off.

Actually, I want to disable all volume mount/unmount notifications from TechTool Pro 8 because Hardware Growler shows these volume notification, with the ability to block the notifications for specific volumes (e.g., "Recovery HD").

-- Ward

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 01:32 #6817

Notifications are controlled by the Notifications pane of System Preferences. If you select TechTool Pro there, and then drag the application's icon to the Not In Notification Center list, at the bottom of the window, the notifications should cease.

From Mac Help:

If you don’t want to see the app’s notifications in Notification Center or on your screen, drag the app to the Not In Notification Center list, at the bottom.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2015 01:33 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ward

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 02:09 #6818

Thanks for the speedy response.

I had considered just what you recommend, turning off all TechTool Pro 8 notifications. But I was concerned I'd be turning off other useful TechTool Pro notifications. Are there any notifications other than volume mount & dismount?

-- Ward

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 02:33 #6819

You are welcome.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. about the notifications. Mine are not working at the moment, which seems to be associated with too much virtual memory in use. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 18:04 #6820

The Help team responded: You should see notifications for the completion and result of any test or tool, as long as the notification is enabled in the Notification Center preference pane.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 18:08 #6821

Ward,

Thank you. I was just about to post the explanation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 18:17 #6822

Since I don't want to see any TechTool volume mount/unmount notifications, my only option at this point is to disable all notifications.

I'd like to propose a future release of TechTool Pro provide user preferences to manage notifications:

1. Allow each type of notification to be individually shown or blocked.

2. In the case of volume mount/unmount notifications, mimic Hardware Growler's ability to block notifications for specific volumes (e.g., Recovery HD).

Thanks,

-- Ward

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 19:07 #6823

Thanks for your suggestions, which I have passed along.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 10 Nov 2015 23:28 #6824

I suspect that the notifications you are getting for volumes mounting and unmounting are not coming from TechTool Pro. Now that my notifications appear to be working correctly, I get a notification from TechTool Pro for the results obtained by using tools or running tests. I do not get mount/unmount notifications. Our notifications have our icon on them:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 11 Nov 2015 01:29 #6825

Take a look at the screenshot of the messages in my original post. It's the TechTool icon.

When I disabled all TechTool notifications in System Prefs, the hourly notifications ceased.

-- Ward

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 11 Nov 2015 01:49 #6826

Thanks for the reminder about your original screen capture, which must have required some quick keyboard work.

Your evidence suggests that you get these notifications even when the TechTool Pro application is not open. I do not get notifications for mounting and dismounting of volumes on my iMac (mid 2010), running Yosemite, regardless of whether TechTool Pro is open. We will have to investigate this further. Thanks for your efforts.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 14 Nov 2015 05:00 #6834

I have System Preferences > Notifications set to disable all notifications from TechTool Pro 8 – see the first screenshot.

The second screenshot shows notifications for "Recovery HD" are still happening when the TechTool Pro 8 app is running. I quit TechTool Pro between 12:30 pm and 4:00 pm as a test.

It now appears TechTool Pro 8.0.3 is announcing "Recover HD" regardless of the System Prefs > Notifications block.

-- Ward

P.S. I tried editing this post to add the first screenshot showing I'd disabled TechTool Pro 8 notifications. But this forum apparently doesn't allow two attachments.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2015 16:26 by Ward.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 14 Nov 2015 13:46 #6835

Thanks for the additional observations.

Only one screen capture posted.

I do not see how we can avoid concluding that something is wrong with the Notifications system preferences in your system software if it is ignoring the fact that you have moved TechTool Pro to the section at the bottom of the Notifications pane:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2015 13:48 by micromattech3.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 14 Nov 2015 16:29 #6836

I have an adequate solution to the unwanted "Recovery HD" notifications – don't leave TechTool Pro 8 running in the background.

TechTool's frequent notifications of Recovery HD mount & dismount 14 Nov 2015 16:34 #6837

I see that in fact your previous posting now shows two screen captures. I will have to experiment with that. In my previous experience, I had no trouble posting two screen captures at once. In the last few weeks, I have had to post the first one, then go back and edit the posting to attach the second one.

There is no reason to have the TechTool Pro application open when you are not using it. The features of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane do not depend on having the TechTool Pro application open. They show up as separate processes in Activity Monitor.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds