Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive)

Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 17 Aug 2012 17:56 #2731

Hi everyone

My Macbook 5,1 has two drives, an SSD (boot drive) and a Seagate Momentus. Recently the SSD refused to boot into 10.8, which I had recently upgraded to. I therefore had to reinstall 10.8 by re-downloading. In trying to wipe the drive with DU from the Recovery Partition the SSD refused to unmount. Then, suddenly, it would mount and let me install. Then the drive again refused to boot and I had to go the DU route again, once more without unmounting, then mounting etc. DU also reported that it was not able to repair the SSD.

I have now wiped the SSD and cloned a Lion/10.7 installation as boot volume onto a new partition on the Momentus.

When checking the SSD with TTP6 I encountered a Volume Bitmap error during the Volume Structures test. The test took a few minutes only.

Then I ran the test again and now, 47 minutes into the test, the green "progress dots" have come to the Volume Information, which has blinked for some 45 minutes. The test doesn't seem to move on.

Should I stop it? I'm worried the SSD is beyond repair. Are there any other tests I should do? I did the Surface Scan and Smart Check both of which passed.

Thanks a million
Philip
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 17 Aug 2012 19:39 #2732

The Volume Structures test is a read-only test, so you can stop it without being concerned about making matters worse. There is no way to predict how long it should take, because that depends on processor speed, bus speed, drive speed, how many files there are on the volume, and how many file fragments there are.

I suggest you check the All Messages log using the Console application, located in /Applications/Utiities, and see if there are any errors recorded that appear to be related to the running of the Volume Structures test. Also, use the search box at the top right to search the entire log, to see if there are any input/output errors. Search for this string:

i/o

See if Disk Utility finds a volume bitmap error when you use it to examine the SSD while the Macintosh is booted from another volume. If you can get the Volume Structures test to run to completion, and it contradicts Disk Utility on the diagnosis, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip Dygeus

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 17 Aug 2012 19:57 #2733

Thanks for the quick reply!

I searched the All Messages log for i/o but nothing comes up. There are plenty of smcReadyKeyAction errors though, loads in fact.

There is one error related to com.micromat.techtoolpro6: error: -90

There are no Volume Bitmap errors.

Following the aborted Structures test I ran the Volume Rebuild tool which resulted in a discrepancy on the Used Nodes and Free Nodes entries. I chose Replace. Oddly, running that test again resulted in the same result so perhaps it wasn't replaced the first time. These discrepancies are, however, all green and not red/unusual.

TTP now doesn't report any errors on the Surface Scan or Volume Structures tests. Also DU doesn't report any errors when I verify or repair.

However TTP reports strange results on the SMART test, but does say the drive has "passed". See attached image. Looks worrying to me.
SMARTresults22Passed22.png

Does this mean the disk is OK? Can I run any other tests?

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 17 Aug 2012 20:07 #2734

You are welcome, and it is good to see that there are now no errors reported in the disk directory.

The odd results you got for the S.M.A.R.T. test should be brought to the attention of the drive maker. Only they can give you a definitive interpretation. Also, I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 18 Aug 2012 02:28 #2735

We have seen a number of OWC drives that report SMART in this way. A couple of folks reporting this issue have stated that OWC claims that we are reporting incorrectly. However, the same results can be found in any SMART utility. A SMART utility works by asking the drive what its SMART attributes are and what values each attribute is reporting. Each attribute has a minimum value, a maximum value, a current value, and a pass/fail switch. In looking at the raw values of an OWC drive, it appears that the values that appear in red report a current value MUCH higher than the maximum, but are still passing. This leads us to conclude that OWC engineers have decided to implement SMART in a non-standard way for these attributes, and that the drive is likely OK.

Micromat Help

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 18 Aug 2012 02:44 #2736

Thank you for the information. I emailed OWC and they think the results look odd and have agreed to replace the drive on the 3-year warranty, which I'll do.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Philip

Re: Volume Structures test: How long should it last on an SSD? (previous Volume Bitmap error on drive) 18 Aug 2012 03:02 #2737

Thanks for the update. It is a relief to learn that OWC agrees that these results are odd.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds