Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures

How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 19 Feb 2012 21:44 #1994

I have tried with both my computers now and have had to abandon the Volume Structures routine on both because it's been 5 Hrs then 7 Hrs. This is just the analysis not the repair (which I can see from other posts can take a long time.
I'm using Firewire Target Disk Mode- is that OK?

What can take so long?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 00:48 #1997

I cannot tell you how long such a process should take. It depends on the size and complexity of the disk directory, processor speed, bus speed, and how many other processes are running.

If I had your problem, I would cancel the Volume Structures test, check the disk directory for major errors with Disk Utility, and run the Surface Scan in TechTool Pro to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks.

Fire Wire Target Disk Mode is fine for running the tests.

Make sure you have a backup of any volume on which you rebuild the disk directory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 01:07 by micromattech3.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 01:09 #1998

Ah ha you are right- 'Invalid Volume Directory Count' says Disk Utility! repaired and running TTP again now....

thanks

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 01:15 #1999

You are welcome.

The same diagnosis should have been provided by TechTool Pro. I think you should run the Surface Scan to check the drive itself for unremapped bad blocks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 01:15 by micromattech3.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 01:18 #2000

Please open the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, and check the All Messages log to see if any errors associated with TechTool Pro arose when you ran the Volume Structures test. In order to read the correct log conveniently, the boot volume should be the same one that was in use when you had the lengthy Volume Structures test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 01:40 #2001

Hi

I did do surface scan checks before and all was good. And all is good now. But yes why didn't TTP spot it? This is from the Console as you suggested:

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 4

and this:

Thread 4 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000054 ebx: 0x9120d69e ecx: 0x00000000 edx: 0x00143430
edi: 0x00000000 esi: 0x00000000 ebp: 0xb0206b38 esp: 0xb0206af0
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010246 eip: 0x9120d6c9 cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x0000001f gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x00000000

and this is from the other computer (I got the same problem [and solution] on both my computers)

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000073006f20
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: class

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Hope that is what you meant- they are from 'File Structure Tool' section of the Console...

Cheers

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 20 Feb 2012 03:01 #2002

The Volume Structures test crashed. I do not see any way to know whether the crash took place when it encountered the disk directory error that Disk Utility found. I will not not be able to interpret the logs.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including the link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email tomorrow and you may be asked to send in the entire log file, along with an Apple System Profiler Report. Those will be examined by the programmers. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 03:03 by micromattech3.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 05 Mar 2012 00:15 #2069

I just installed TTP 6.0.4, and have encountered the same issue.

All disk drive validation ran as expected, except the one before "remount" never completed. I aborted the check after about 1 hour on that single test.

Mac Mini, 10.6.8, ttp 6.0.4

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 05 Mar 2012 00:48 #2072

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above. While awaiting the reply, please do not delete any log files. They provide the best information about what happened. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 21 Apr 2012 04:00 #2295

I am having the same problem. Volume Structures has been running for 3 hours. It has been on "Volume Information" for most of this time. I am running the test from bootable DVD I created from TTP6 disk image download. I am on MacBook Pro (2008) Intel Core 2 Duo.

What should I do?

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 21 Apr 2012 04:58 #2296

It would be preferable to run the Volume Structures test from a hard drive volume, such as another volume containing an installation of Mac OS X and TechTool Pro, an or an eDrive you create using the program. You can use a USB memory stick of at least 32 GB capacity to create an eDrive, after reformatting the memory stick to have a GUID partition map and a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.

You cannot make an eDrive by splitting a volume that has directory problems.

When the program is run from a bootable DVD, virtual memory cannot be used, and no log files can be written. There is no way to see what might be going wrong.

The Volume Structures test is a read-only test, so there should be no problem with canceling it with the X button. If you restart and hold down the mouse button, the bootable DVD should eject, and the MacBook Pro should attempt to boot from whatever volume is in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences.

I suggest you run the Surface Scan test to check the internal drive for unremapped bad blocks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 23 May 2012 09:33 #2440

micromattech3 wrote:
If I had your problem, I would cancel the Volume Structures test, check the disk directory for major errors with Disk Utility, and run the Surface Scan in TechTool Pro to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks.

As I had been having the same difficulty with Volume Structures not making progress (after ca. 5 hours), I ran Disk Utility (starting up from an external drive). It showed no problems with the disk directory.

Then I tried to run the Surface Scan. It immediately came back and said it had run successfully but 0 blocks had been tested.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 23 May 2012 10:34 #2441

The Surface Scan should never immediately report zero bad blocks, because it must attempt to read every block on the entire drive, regardless of the way the drive has been formatted. It is not dependent on the type of partition map the drive has, or the type or number of volumes on the drive.

Please try repairing permissions using Disk Utility and then reinstalling TechTool Pro. If that does not allow the Surface Scan to scan all of the blocks on the drive, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email. In the meantime, please do not delete any log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 02 Jun 2012 07:30 #2478

I'm a fairly new user to TTP6. I have had the same issue and wanted to pipe in. I tried some of the things in this thread and they worked...sort of. I was checking the Volume Structure on a 1TB internal SATA drive, and after 7 hours, I canceled the process. I verified and repaired the HDD using disk utility (there were a few errors, but TTP6 should have picked this up, no?). Then I did a surface scan with TTP6 which took 3 hours and came up clean. After that, Volume Structure check took less than a minute to run.

So, I decided to do another Volume Structure check on a 2nd internal drive on my MacPro. TTP6 froze up and wouldn't do anything at all. I had the spinning beach ball of death. I had no choice but to reluctantly force quit the program. I immediately verified my HDD with disk utility and fortunately it came up fine. I repaired it in Disk Util just to be sure and it came up clean.

In short use, the program seems a bit buggy to me.

Lou

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 02 Jun 2012 08:20 #2479

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. There may be a CrashReporter log for the freeze you noted at /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/TechTool Pro or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/TechTool Pro on the boot volume that was in use when you ran the program . These logs can be read most conveniently using the Console application, located at /Applications/Utilities, while the Macintosh is booted from the same boot volume that was in use when the freeze took place . Please do not delete any of the logs. There may also be relevant error messages in the All Messages log, or the system or console logs.

The Volume Structures test is a read-only test; force-quitting it does not affect the disk directory of the volume being examined. The Volume Rebuild tool is what repairs disk directories. A backup should always be made before using the Volume Rebuild tool.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2012 08:25 by micromattech3.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 02 Jun 2012 08:51 #2480

Thanks for the quick response. I looked in both locations, and there are no entries for TTP6 in the CrashReporter folder. In fact, there is no TechTool Pro folder, either in my Home or Mac HD folder under CrashReporter. But, I definitely force quit TTP6 while it was trying to begin a new Volume Structure test. I didn't bother trying to open Console, since I didn't see the log files in the locations you pointed me to. So, I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Thanks for the info on the Volume Structure test being read only, and the fact that the Volume Rebuild tool is the one that could do the damage if I force quit the program.

Re: How long is Too Long- Volume Structures 02 Jun 2012 09:08 #2481

You are welcome.

In my experience, force quitting a program may or may not cause it to crash, and to make an entry in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. A crash should get reported, provided that the CrashReporter feature is not turned off. The article How to disable the Mac OS X Crash Reporter (Snow Leopard, Lion) also gives the Terminal command used to turn it back on again. There is a setting for this feature in some aspect of the user interface, but I do not recall where it is in the various versions of Mac OS X.

Even if there are no CrashReporter entries, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as described above. There may be relevant entries in the other logs, and we may want to see an Apple System Profiler Report for your system. Thank you.

This article has a good overview of crash logs in Mac OS X:

How To: Get a Crash Log in Mac OSX.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2012 09:14 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds