Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Trying to create eDrive

Trying to create eDrive 26 Apr 2011 11:24 #429

Booted off DVD and trying to create eDrive on main HD and it keeps telling me "optimize volume required"

How do I get around this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Trying to create eDrive 26 Apr 2011 17:35 #430

In order to create the eDrive, a volume must be split, and there must be a piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) and at least as large as the eDrive to be created. The disk optimizer must be used first if those conditions are not already present.

Be sure to make and test a backup before you create the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Trying to create eDrive 27 Apr 2011 00:16 #435

There is enough space per instructions to create the eDrive (but maybe not all in one place?) and i cant use the disk optimizer until I create an eDrive...so that seems like a catch22. So what do I do?

Re: Trying to create eDrive 27 Apr 2011 01:04 #436

You can use the disk optimizer from the bootable DVD, but I would not recommend doing that if there is an alternative, such as installing Mac OS X and TechTool Pro on a bootable external drive and then booting from it to create the eDrive. When the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume, such as a DVD, virtual memory cannot be used.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Trying to create eDrive 27 Apr 2011 01:08 #437

If I am going to update my OSX, would you recommend doing that first or after running techtools? (in other words, would updating my computer help solve this problem?)

Re: Trying to create eDrive 27 Apr 2011 01:17 #438

Check the disk directory with the Volume Structures test, and run the Surface Scan to check for unremapped bad blocks. If the tests both pass, update Mac OS X before creating the eDrive, because the system software on the eDrive is a subset of an installation of Mac OS X that you choose.

Be sure to make and test a backup before running the disk optimizer and before attempting to create the eDrive. The processes are highly reliable, but if something goes wrong with updating the partition map to create the eDrive, all volumes on the drive containing the volume to be splict to be create the eDrive could be lost. If you do not have a backup, you should solve that problem before optimizing any volume or attempting to create the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Trying to create eDrive 04 May 2011 10:31 #486

1)Which Mac OS are you updating to?
2)What version of TTP are you running?
3)Which Mac computer, desktop or laptop are you workong with?
Every Mac OS works best with certain TTP versions.
I believe Mac OSX up to 4.10.11 will be OK to use TTP 4.6.2.
Granted TTP 6 will do all Mac OSX from 4.10.9 - 6.X, but, which ver. you yourself own is important.
For instance, TTP 6 will not allow you to create an eDrive on and earlier OS before 10.5.x.

Now, if you have TTP 6 and are planning to update to Mac OSX 10.5.x, then I personally would do one operation prior to the update.

One of the BEST things any Mac user can do with their single huge harddrive is to 1st partition it into smaller sections. The 1st section will become your boot drive with the OS on it.
The other empty partitions can be used for Storage, Scratch disk for Photoshop and even a 2nd Mac OS that you can boot into when ever you need to defragment your main boot partition. With the 2nd bootable partition, you have a fully useable OS to work from, where the eDrive is not such a fully useable boot drive. The 2nd boot partition can be a Carbon Copy of your original main boot drive, and created with the Mac supplied app. Carbon Copy Cloner. Your make the Clone after you've established a workable set on Preferences for your main boot OS.

If your HD is too small, like those on a laptop, then the eDrive may be your only recourse, but, even it needs 10 or more GB of your HD that will not be avalaible for storage of any kind, after you install the eDrive.

If your on a computer that allows you to add a 2nd HD, then getting a new HD and adding it as a 'slave' drive AND performing the partitioning on it 1st, then installing your new OS onto it will work even better.

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions.

Good Luck,
Alan

Re: Trying to create eDrive 04 May 2011 19:32 #488

TechTool Pro 6 can create an eDrive using a Mac OS X source volume that has Mac OS X 10.4, but the eDrive in such a case cannot be made by splitting the active startup volume. That new feature requires that the program be running under Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds